This is an idea I’m borrowing from Nathan Arthur. A derailment of a Beeminder system is not legitimate and does not count if any of the following conditions are true. These are, of course, nullified if a specific goal’s fineprint states otherwise, as that supersedes these rules.
- The derailment occurred between sundown Friday night and midnight Saturday night.
- The derailment occurred happened because of automation gone awry.
- The derailment occurred due to modifying/correcting previous data.
- I met goal requirements, but botched data entry somehow.
- I met goal requirements, but couldn’t enter data because of lack of Internet access.
- I met goal requirements, but did not enter the data on Beeminder on time (if manual entry).
- I become severely ill to the extent I cannot perform the task.
- I have derailed two or more systems within the same day. (To avoid compound mistakes.)